When you least expect it, a nasty little nerve impulse tells your diaphragm to spasm, creating a chain reaction that makes your voice box close up and hic—you have the hiccups. To get rid of hiccups you have to short-circuit the network that is making your diaphragm bounce about so annoyingly. Of course, we all know this is easier said than done.
The 10 best natural hiccup cures
There are enough home remedies for hiccups to fill an entire book, some of which would make you look and feel mighty foolish. But you don‘t have to resort to such drastic measures
We list here the Top 10 list of the most dependable hiccup remedies:
l. Place a spoonful of granulated sugar under your tongue and let it dissolve.
2. Gently rub the back of your throat with a soft swab.
3. Pull on your tongue.
4. Put a little ice on the skin around the front of your throat just above your collarbone.
5. Chew papaya digestive tablets (available at health food stores) or a slice of fresh papaya or pineapple.
6. Make yourself sneeze by sniffing a dash of pepper
7. Slowly sip a glass of ice water.
8. Hold your breath for 30 seconds.
9. Breathe in and out of a paper bag.
I0. Pull your knees into your chest and lean forward to decrease pressure on your diaphragm.